Laparoscopy refers to a kind of surgery that involves minimally invasive incisions when it comes to surgical operations. It is usually done in the area of the abdomen or in a woman’s reproductive system. Laparoscopic surgeries usually involve a thin tube called a laparoscope. It is inserted into the abdomen area through a small incision. An incision is basically a small cut made through the skin tissue during an operation. The tube that is inserted via the incision has the camera attached to it. The camera then sends the images to a video monitor. This, in turn, allows a surgeon to view the body organs without any deep cuts or incisions or without any major trauma to the patient.
The reasons why people mostly opt for laparoscopic treatments at the hospital are shorter hospital stays, speedy recovery, less pain and smaller scars than the traditional or open surgery. The other names for laparoscopy are Diagnostic Laparoscopy or Laparoscopic Surgery.
WHAT WAS THE SURGICAL SCENE BEFORE LAPAROSCOPY?
Laparoscopy has been a big leap in medical science when it comes to treating patients who have medical ailments in the abdomen area or urological health problems. Before the laparoscopic surgeries, surgeons operated on his patient’s belly which involved a cut which was 6-12 inches long and that ultimately left a scar. However, in the laparoscopic surgeries, several small cuts are made with every incision not being more than half an inch long. That is the reason why this surgery is also known as the Keyhole
What is Laparoscopy used for?
Laparoscopy is used for numerous body ailment treatments where incisions are required by the surgeon to diagnose the health problem:
- Benign Tumours
- Abnormal Growths
- Unexplained Bleeding
By making the small incision, the surgeon can see the images of the required organ on the video monitor and treat the organs without being invasive to the human body.
Why would someone need laparoscopy?
Someone would need laparoscopy treatment when the following medical situations are there:
- When someone is having severe or chronic pain in the abdomen or pelvis region
- When someone is having a lump in the abdomen area
- When someone is having abdominal cancer
- When someone is having urological health issues
- When a woman is having reproductive issues or blockages
What are the usual health issues that Laparoscopy cater to?
There are usually numerous health problems to which laparoscopic treatments are available. Laparoscopic treatments have come as a boon as they now relieve the patients of major incisions in their body.
Following are some of the medical problems for which laparoscopy is widely used:
- Fibroids - These are growths that form inside or outside the uterus of a woman. Most fibroids are noncancerous in nature.
- Ovarian cysts - These are basically fluid-filled sacs that form inside or on the surface of an ovary of a woman.
- Endometriosis - It refers to a condition in which tissue that normally lines the uterus grows outside of it in a woman.
- Pelvic prolapse - It is a condition in which the reproductive organs drop into or out of the vagina of a woman.
- Ectopic pregnancy - This is kind of a pregnancy that grows outside the uterus in a woman. A fertilized egg can not survive an ectopic pregnancy. It can be life-threatening for a pregnant woman.
- Hysterectomy - It refers to the removal of the uterus. A hysterectomy may be done to treat cancer, abnormal bleeding, or other disorders.
- Tubal ligation - It is a procedure used to prevent pregnancy by blocking a woman's fallopian tubes.
- Incontinence - It means accidental or involuntary urine leakage.
What are the benefits of Laparoscopy?
There are a number of benefits of Laparoscopy that a patient gets when compared to its counterpart of traditional open surgery:
- The scars on the body are less
- There are no deep incisions inside the body
- Shorter Hospital Stay of the patient
- Less pain during the recovery
- Heals quickly
The best advantage of laparoscopic treatments is that the patients are assured of shorter stay at hospitals. Where on one hand, a patient used to stay at the hospital for weeks, now the patient stays just for a few days at the hospital that allows them to bounce back to the normal schedule faster.
RG Stone Hospital is one of the top urology and laparoscopy hospital in India that undertakes laparoscopic treatments at the hospital. The hospital offers the laparoscopic surgical procedures in various categories of medical health such as Urological Treatment, in Gall Bladder Treatment, Hernia Treatment, Appendicitis Treatment, Piles Treatment and Gynaecological Treatment. They have doctors who have years of experience in the laparoscopic medical treatments and would assist the patients medically to complete the medical course of action fully and properly.