Kidney stones are formed in the urinary tract. The person can experience excruciating pain which comes in the form of waves. It is essential to get rid of the kidney stones so that the discomfort can be kept at bay. Kidney stones can be prevented.
What are kidney stones?
Kidney stones are hard rock-like substances which are formed when there is too much waste in the urine and not enough fluid. Calcium combines with oxalate and phosphate to form the stone of the size of a grain, pea or as big as a ball.
Some stones also take the form from uric acid. Kidney stones are difficult to pass through the urine and make their way from the human body.
What are the different types of Kidney stones?
- Calcium Oxalate Stones
- Calcium Phosphate Stones
- Struvite Stones
- Uric Acid Stones
- Cystine Stones
What types of food should be avoided so that kidney stones are kept at bay?
- Any food which has too much concentration of sugar or salt should be avoided. It is important to take a limited amount of processed food. Chips and nuts in high content are also like poison for the kidney stones. It contributes to the formation of kidney stones.
- Colas should be avoided as these contain a high content of sugar and phosphates and can easily contribute to the formation of kidney stones.
- Chocolates can also contribute to the problem.
- A person who does not maintain enough hydration can also get affected by the problem. Drinking fluid, especially water is very important so that kidney stones can be avoided. A person who has already had the problem can develop the same again. Thus they have to be extra cautious and maintain the hydration level in the body.
- Consuming too much protein is not a good idea. Red meat should be consumed in limited amounts. Thus, animal protein should be restricted.
- The family history of kidney stones can also be a cause of kidney stone formation for individuals. Genetics play a pivotal role.
- Drinks and food which have a high content of phosphate and oxalate should be avoided.
Diet plays a very important role, and the list above is a very helpful guide for the people who want to keep such problems at bay and want to lead a healthy life.
How can diet help in the prevention of Kidney Stones?
- Lifestyle changes and altering food habits can play an essential role to help the person in getting rid of the problem.
- Drink a lot of water. It is important to help the waste formation flush out from the body and drinking water is the best way to ensure that.
- Take a diet which is moderate in terms of the salt. Sugar intake should be monitored, and foods or drinks containing a high level of sugar should be avoided.
- Take a diet which has a good amount of calcium. Calcium can help in deterring the formation of substances which can develop into stones in the digestive tract.
- Potassium, nitrate, and citrate are present in veggies and fruits. The consumption of such foods should be done in a good amount so that kidney formation can be kept at bay.
- Limit foods which are rich in oxalate. This includes nuts, sweet potato, berries, etc.
Kidney stones can be treated
. In fact, at times it passes on its own. Though it is painful; yet home remedies are also very helpful in treating the problem.